Thursday, March 3, 2011

The talk slides and a few extra things

Hi Scott and Walter,

    Sorry to decouple quite a bit in the last month or two.  I've done some work on our project since I last posted, there are a number of new plots.  I think the easiest way to catch up might be if you look through the talk I gave at our informal seminar here.   Here is a link:

http://public.lanl.gov/aschulz/talks/LA-astro23Feb.pdf

I had intended to send it to you for comments before giving the talk, but inevitably life intervened and I was working on it until the late the night before.  I think the main new thing I've found is that the r^-1/2 scaling is not really a mean field thing that arises after the system equilibrates, in a sense it is there from the beginning, which I suspect was not known before. 

I've recognized a few mistakes in the talk since giving it, Q in 1D should likely be rho/sigma,  just on dimensional grounds, and I don't think the equations I wrote down for N(w) make any kind of sense.  It was late at night.  

Also, I've added a bunch of slides after the conclusions, dealing with Energy evolution of the system.  These were not in the talk, but I thought you would like to see them.  The main point is that the particles behave like beads on a string, no matter how long the string gets, the beads do not pass one another, in that they keep their initial ordering along the wind.  Energy is a proxy for this ordering, because it remains a monotonic function of the initial position for an extremely long time.  This is significant because unlike the x and v, it evolves very slowly in time.  In a sense it governs how the "beads" are sampling different portions of the "string."   Energy might therefore be a good way to quantify how particles on each branch of the winding are contributing to the density at any given position.  I am still trying to work out how to do it, however.  One problem is that I don't have an expression for the potential energy, so my initial plan of solving to eliminate v is not working so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment