Wednesday, May 26, 2010

More Dynamical Friction

I know Scott said we should put this dynamical friction question to rest, but I had this big long run in the can, so I decided to look at it once I finished running it. Strange things are afoot at the circle-k. This run has 20k particles in it, and the heavy guy gets introduced by replacing one of the light guys (possibly slightly before the object has entirely virialized, but not much before). The heavy particle is 20 times heavier than the light particles. Here is the video:




And here is the specific energy plot:


Which shows no dynamical friction going on at all even though the mass ratio is even more extreme than the previous examples, This looks totally different than the last two studies with only 1000 in the background. I thought this was an odd result, so I thought I'd put it in. By the way, I can't quite tell, but the video suggests that there might be a little void behind the heavy particle... I'll try to find it in the stills.

No comments:

Post a Comment