Monday, May 17, 2010

Dynamical Friction 3

A few frustrating scripting errors later, I have made another dynamical friction experiment. In this case, I take one of the background particles and increase its mass by 10, but leave it's position and velocity data alone. It is losing energy a little bit, at least by eye...





I've repeated this for different choices of initial particle. The ones that start out very near the edges of the distribution do not visibly decay at all.

Sorry this preliminary work is so non-quantitative... I'm working on the specific energy plots, but (if what you mean by specific energy is (kinetic+potential)/mass) I think I have to get the code to spit out the potential energy of the particles.... since the center of the blob isn't constrained to live at zero. Until I figure that out, maybe I'll make a plot of the x maxima (the amplitude of the decaying oscillations) versus time.

No comments:

Post a Comment